Welcome to my blog. I plan to do occasional posts before I set off and then every
few days on the trip.
On May 12th 2012 I will be dipping the rear wheel of my bike
into the Pacific Ocean
in Los Angeles and heading for the Atlantic in Boston.
I am funding the trip myself, however I am seeking sponsorship for The Multiple Sclerosis
Society. Please consider supporting my sponsorship by clicking on the "Sponsor me " link.
Note all of your donation will be going to the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

I am looking forward to this great challenge and hope you find my blog of interest.
Please enter your email details on the right to receive updates. Thanks

Thursday 7 June 2012

105 miles to Topeka Kansas - less miles ahead of us than behind us

Well we crossed the half way point today.

We had dinner at the Kirby house restaurant in abilene last night. The visitors centre staff arranged it all and even borrowed a van from the local car dealer to ferry us. Amazingly nice people.

We rose early for our 105 miles to Topeka.
CBS News were there to film us leaving the hotel at 6.30am. Clearly a slow news day in Kansas.

If you think Kansas is flat then come to northern Kansas. We limbed 6000 feet in 100 or so miles but our height above sea level is about the same. Lots of rolling hills, nice green countryside with small farms.




- we stopped at a park in White City, a small town for a sag stop. The local ladies were tidying the garden.













The school

The main street



We saw our first buffalo who seemed keen to meet us




Our second sag stop was near a lake, at a bar which was not open.






Picture taken by one of the other riders, still saving fun after about 80 miles


The temperatures were good, it did not go above high nineties and the wind whilst sometimes in our face was not too strong.

Rode with the usual group.




Every one fairly tired today but in good spirits.

We stopped in Dover which has the best pie shop in the world, it's official. The lady who makes the pies passed away last year, however fortunately passed on her recipes. I had a piece of coconut cream pie which tasted great.

Into Missouri tomorrow.

Location:SW Westport Dr,Topeka,United States

No comments: